View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #49
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: anyone decline the PKU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I pointed out in a previous post that at the hospital here they ONLY test for PKU within the first 48 hours, and then ANOTHER heel prick is done 1 or 2 weeks later in the Pediatricians office for the other screenings. You asked why someone would decline the PKU, this is why they declined it, because they were not carriers for PKU. You did not ask why people declined ALL the screenings, which they don't, they decline specifically PKU since they cannot pass it onto the baby.

They declined specifically the PKU test, because they are not carriers and cannot pass it onto their baby. There is another screening for the other disorders/illnesses/etc that is seperate to the PKU in the hospital that my friends deliver at. I am not talking about the combined test that most hospitals use, I'm specifically talking only PKU.

ETA: And also for some homebirth Midwives they do specifically PKU as well after the birth, and then parents take baby into the Pediatricians office for the other screening test. When I had ds2 at home I did PKU at home and then had to take him into the hospital lab for the other screening (which my Ped said could be done anywhere from 24 hours to 1 month after birth). However, the MW I'm using this time is able to do the entire thing at home a few days after birth.

What state?
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote