View Single Post
Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:
What would you do?

My DS has had all of his vaccines (and no, I'm not here to debate), except for his final Dtap. Back in October DS cut his finger on a broken glass while doing the dishes, and he got a tetanus shot in the ER. I didn't think anything of it, but when we got home I realized it was a Td shot. At the time we were homeschooling and we had no plans to move, so I wasn't too concerned (since the Tdap shot is required for public school. Well, we found out in December that we were moving and DS would go back into public school.

I thought the Td shot would be enough for the school, but I got a letter today saying that since it didn't include the pertussis vaccine he would need to get a Dtap, and I will only get one more notification before he is kicked out of school. There is no individual pertussis vaccine, but I'm really worried about him getting another tetanus and diptheria vaccine so soon after his last one.

What would you do if you were in my situation? Would you just get it done? Should I even be concerned? One of the biggest issues for me, besides not wanting him to have two so close together, is that we are in between insurance b/c DH just started a new job. Our new insurance doesn't kick in until May. I have no idea if he can even get a Dtap at one of those clinics like they have at Walmart, and we can't afford the bill to take him to a regular doctor. I doubt the school will care about that, though.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote