Thread: Can't leave DD
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
Miss squish
Registered Users
Re: Can't leave DD

Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post means you leave her with DH regularly. Go to the groccery. Go for a walk. Go get a coffee. He needs to learn to deal with her, and she needs to learn that he can care for her too. He will learn her cues and to comfort her.
I have to agree with this. I have a Velcro baby and for his first 6-7 months he wanted nothing to do with anyone. I got some advice on here and in a local group that really helped in encouraged me to allow ds and his father to struggle sometimes. At first SO would try to hand him back to me so I would take really long showers or take the dog for a walk or go grocery shopping. I would make sure ds was fed so that he didn't need me for that reason, but then I would hand him off. was hard but SO is every bit as much ds's parent as I am and even though I am a SAH bf'ing mom they needed their time too (without me looking over his shoulder). Sometimes when I would come back ds would still be crying and I felt really bad for both of them, but now at 9 months ds is excited to see his dad when he comes home and wants his dad to pick him up immediately. I hated leaving him knowing how quickly I could "fix" it but I need time alone too. DS is still a barnacle but is willing to be with his dad sometimes too.

It's absolutely nobody's fault that your LO has a preference and you shouldn't discourage baby needing you and feeling safe with you, but in my minimal but very recent experience it will help to do what luvsviola is suggesting.
sahm to Maxwell 5/4/12
Miss squish is offline   Reply With Quote