View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Am I a candidate for cloth?

Well, almost anyone can be a candidate for cloth, I think, barring rash issues or other sensitivities (which are pretty rare).

Unless you become obsessive about buying and trying diapers, you WILL save money. Even expensive water and electricity along with the cost of diapers is still cheaper than disposables. And you can't use a disposable on a 2nd or 3rd kid and you can't resell a disposable diaper.

Now, don't be fooled. Cloth is more work and it will take up some of your time.

But I also think it's worth it.

When we converted, I didn't force my husband into cloth. He was welcome to use disposables until he understood the cloth system (but seriously, how hard it is....this is the waterproof thing, this is the absorbant thing....it should be obvious how it 'works,' but I digress). And don't be discouraged if it takes a couple of weeks to work out the kinks. It takes a little bit of time to get to know your diapers and how much/often your baby pees into said diapers.

There are a few really good "systems" out there. Flats and Flips are great. Easy to wash & dry. Folding burnout happens to some, but I think anyone can power through it if they want to, too. Flip organic inserts are great, both the daytime and nighttime. Sized prefolds and covers are great. Any brand of sized prefold, any cover. Sandies fitted diapers are great, so are the GMD workhorse fitteds. BG Elementals and Swaddlebees Simplex are both great AIO's.

If you just want to try it out, order one or 2 covers from cottonbabies (any brand) and buy 2 packs of flour sack towels from Target or Walmart. Fold up the towel into the cover and give it a whirl. If you don't like it, resell the covers and use the towels in the kitchen.