View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does your child's class have a room parent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLeeCW View Post
Do they do anything? At all?

DS's kindergarten room parent does not. She has only sent one email for a Halloween party and nothing before or since. Nothing special for Thanksgiving, or the 100th day of school, nothing for Valentine's day on Thursday. DS says she has come in a few times to read to the class. Why volunteer for something if you aren't going to put in the effort?

I was a room parent for DS's preschool. I wanted to do it again this year, but I was 9 months pregnant when the school year started (DD was born mid September). I told this year's teacher I'd do it if no one else would, but 5 other people asked, so I figured it was all good and I'd just volunteer my time or resources.

The room parent doesn't send emails asking for help or to plan anything. She doesn't respond to emails either. It's just left me . I just sent an email to DS's teacher asking if there is anything I can do for Valentine's Day on Thursday. I don't think it's fair to the kids not to be able to do any celebrations because an adult can't get it together. I can understand being overwhelmed or having personal things arise where you can no longer keep a commitment, but why not tell the teacher or ask one of the other parents to step in?
You know what's really sad? Being a room mom with nothing to do. Yeah, that would be me. So far about all I've been allowed to do is organize a shower that never was (due to an early labor) and help out with a Christmas Party. Christmas I organized everything kind of last minute with my co room mom, because I couldn't get any instructions until then. The principal kind of went off the deep end with what was allowed right after the tragedy in Sandy Hook.

Valentine's Day is one of our THREE parties we are allowed to have. This year, the principal has decided that it is a kid only party and they are allowed to have a special snack and a special time with their teacher. I was told to bring in prepackaged Little Debbies.

So other than coming in every week to do whatever I can in the copy room for the teacher, there just isn't much that I am "allowed" to do as room mom. I take all of my cues from the teacher.

ETA: It may not be that she's not doing anything. It just may be that there's not much for her to do. PS Kindergarten is much different than preschool. It's changed since we were there. It's changed since my eldest was there, too. I feel like I do less as room mom this year than I did as just a parent when my eldest was in K.

Last edited by mcpforever; 02-13-2013 at 04:52 PM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote