View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
birdinhand
Registered Users

Re: My 13 mo old is crazy

Toddler acrobats. Yes, nursing with a foot in your face and/or mouth is normal for a kid to try, not normal for you (general you) to have to put up with . Many moms find if they ask nicely and baby doesn't cooperate, it may be more about having fun than it is about eating food. Often a mom will remove the baby from her, put the baby on the floor and go do something else for a few minutes. Sometimes your toddler will move onto something else because hunger and comfort weren't the issue; other times they will continue to cry because they do want to eat. The point is to not stand there and witness the fall-out, like hey kid, I have other things I could be doing besides dealing with your tantrum and nursing you with your bad manners. So go empty the dishwasher or change the laundry, and come back to see what you find. If he still wants to nurse, try again, with the same precise response when something happens that you don't like.

For what it's worth, this is the same thing that can be done if you have a biter. Most babies will get it pretty quickly if it is handled the same every time.

I found for my active ones who like to pull hair or twiddle the other nipple, a Hot Wheels in their hand staved off a lot of that behavior.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote