View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #21
3lilbubs
Banned - User Requested
seller

Re: ♥♥ February Garden chat ♥♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.e.peltz View Post
Well, I just didn't get much of a crop - I planted right around Mother's Day (too late?) in raised beds with organic soil. I planted spinach, lettuce, several herbs, carrots and beans from seed...and just didn't get much from anything except the beans which later got destroyed by bugs before I could harvest them :-(
I don't think too late, just maybe conditions you can fix next time. Perfect timing for your beans, but next time with the herbs/lettuce/spinach and carrots I would plant a bit earlier (they like cool soil to germinate) and after you sow them, water lightly and then cover with plastic to keep the soil moist while they germinate. That's the low cost method. Me, I like to sprinkle some peat moss over the seeds because it helps keep the moisture in. But it's pricier at about $10 for a 2cu ft bag. The main thing is to mist them lightly daily so that they don't dry out. Carrots and spinach in particular take a long time to germinate and just when you think for sure they're dead they pop up. It's about 2-3 weeks.

Planning to germinate seeds next week, exciting!!!! My indoor tomato plant just gave us the first 2 tomatoes and darn me if I didn't forget to take a pic! They're small plum size, a nice golden color. They remind me a lot of one of my favorites, the german lunch box. I like these clustering plum types, they're small enough to use in salads but still big enough to use for sauce! Only took half the winter, LOL! Next year I'll start one inside sooner.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote