View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
acwakip
***INACTIVATE***
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Taking DR/too frugal living too far....not updating home....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris View Post
Maybe renovations were just overwhelming? I don't know, I can think of a million reasons someone would have the money but not the time/ ability to update a house. Sometimes it's just not a priority. Maybe they always planned to just move but stuff happened? And really, if they updated 10 years ago, their house would be outdated already
As I read this, I thought of my mother.
My father built our family's home back in 1960. The kitchen has the exact same appliances (stove/oven) in it. The kitchen needs updating as does the bathroom. The walls are all plaster and an off-white color.
My mom is now 76 and is very well off. She knows that her house would be worth more if she updated, but she just doesn't care. Everything is functional, therefore it is fine.

The bathroom is the worst. Nasty hard water stains, plaster falling around the shower walls, the toilet "sings" when you flush it.

She doesn't hoard, but she is very practical. I think nowadays there is so much focus on keeping everything up to date, but as another person said, you can update, but as soon as you're done, it is out of date.

We were bugging her about getting a new stove at Christmas. I realized then that it would be wasting money to replace something that functions as it was intended. She has replaced the HVAC and windows in her house because the poor efficiency of the older items bothered her. Of course, those are now out of date as well.

Sorry to ramble. I have never watched the show you mentioned but the home shows bug me. My daughter loves to watch them but it puts ideas into her head that our things aren't good enough or that just because they're old, they need to be replaced. I understand the situation in the OP is different in that the house definitely needed repair.
acwakip is offline   Reply With Quote