Old 02-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by percussionsmith
This may seem strange, but I think the issue may be temperature, natural bacteria and pressure. The folks we know have the type that are not within the house but literally deep below, more like an outhouse with a nice surface ( and ventilation, enzyme, rotation systems). I've seen similar ones at a few nice parks, but I don't know much about them.
Price was a big factor for us, too. Especially when considering what you'll be doing with this thing! We looked at the ones that went 1/2 outside, but were living in a historic school house and didn't want to intrude on the structure any further. The noise came from the fan that blew the moisture and smell out a vent pipe. We could turn ours off. Also, this was 4-5 years ago and from a different company, so it may be different with what your looking at.
The disgustingness comes from the urine depositing minerals that calcify. They harden in the bottom, on the screen and on the grooves on the barrel (ours had a crank that rotated the barrel). The fecal matter would stick to the calcified urine. So even when you empty the drawer thoroughly, there's more in there to deal with. I think every three emptyings we would very deep clean it (take it apart, hose, vinegar, the works).
The bugs were fruit flies. Part of our issue was how old the house was. There were all manner of bugs in that schoolhouse! We didn't have A/C either, so windows and doors were often open.
I hope that helps! I'm not trying to make it sound horrible or scare you our of it. Really, it all wasn't that big if a deal and I'd like to return to it in the future.
Thank you so very much. That didn't sound horrible I wasn't expecting the four seasons spa bathroom - dh and I are really fine with whatever but we have ds who is 2.5 and a little one so we need to make sure its something they can and will use and that it's not disgusting
Plan for now is to move in with my parents while our house is on the market - our realtor expects it to go fairly quickly with how we are pricing it..use the profit to be our down payment on our lad and buy a yurt to live in for a year instead of scrambling to build our cob house this summer. This way we can live on our new property and see where we want to build, get te garden going, get the chickens area working etc. yay!

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote