Re: Favorite low cost, 5 ingredient (or less!) meals?
Lemon lentil soup, salty and sour (it's all I'm eating now, I've got a cold and it's so soothing)
Ingredients: lentils, onion, garlic, lemon, random frozen green veg.
- Brown chopped onions in large saucepan.
- Add 2-3 cloves minced garlic, 1 bag of lentils (we use brown), and pour over water until it's two inches deep over the lentils
- Bring to a rolling boil and then turn low and simmer until lentils are soft (but still have their shape), about 25 mins. Pour more water in, if you think it looks too thick.
- About 5 mins before the lentils are cooked, throw in frozen or fresh green veg: kale, spinach, chard, broccoli, what have you.
- When lentils are finished, stir in about 3/4 cup lemon juice (about 2 and a half lemons), and the lemon zest if you have it.
- Salt to taste. I like lots.
Serve on its own or with bread.
Mama to my sweetheart, Jamila (5/2011); wife to my mensch, Josh. Eleanor to you