View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ack! Need advice re 4yro and too much TV!

I suspect he's bored and needs something to do that expends a bit more energy. Does he have any siblings other than the baby?

First thought, every chance that the weather cooperates, ship him outside. Running around outside solves lots of the whining and antagonizing.

Second, if the weather is not cooperating, head over to some indoor place areas. McDonalds play place, Chuck E Cheese, Bounce Zone, etc etc. My local laundromat has a climbing structure for kids, and it's busy enough that they would never know who was actually using the laundry or not. At McDonalds or Chuck E Cheese, you don't have to buy food, you can just get a drink and sit and let him run around. We go once a week and last week, my 4 yr old who has no other siblings close in age was taught how to play hide and seek last week lol. Not by me

Third, get to know some neighbors or other moms with kids his age to get him playing with other kids. IMO, playing alone is kinda boring. If he doesn't have any other siblings to play with, I can see why he doesn't want to play with his toys.

And finally, if you can swing it, see about some sort of preschool or activity class at the Y or other rec center, to get him some additional activity that might even give you a break. To me, preschool for 4 yr olds isn't about learning much of anything, it's just about hanging out with other kids.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote