View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 07:02 PM   #13
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Re: FTM natural birth in hospital

I planed for unmedicated hospital birth but then choose to get an epi. My contractions were 5mins apart right from when they started and then started coming 2 mins apart very strong but I wasn't progressing. I was just too much with no break so I wanted the epi and loved it. The hospital was great though. all the nurses read my birth plan. They didn't offer any meds, I asked myself as I had put in my birth plan. There was meconium in the water when they broke it so the nurse said I might not get my baby on my chest right away and the cord would have to be cut right away but she went of her own accord and asked if the neonatal team could check the baby on my chest. They said no, they needed to move her to the mobile unit in the room. However my daughter was very responsive when she came out so they didn't have to do anything.
My suggestion is to watch lots of natural childbirth videos and get some books and read them. Practice relaxing techniques and put together a CD of relaxing music that you practice relaxing to. Hypnobabies material is supposed to be really good to. Also labour at home as long as possible (we were an hour away and so left too soon not knowing what to expect and wound up walking the halls as they wouldn't admit me yet. Get a doula if you can and make sure your husband is prepared too.
Also, don't be rigid in your plans. Things can change. Many natural birth materials make out that any intervention or medication is going to make it so you can't bond with your baby, you won't be able to breastfeed and your baby will cry for two months straight. It's not true. My daughter was great, we breastfed well and she slept great and I recovered fast. Everyone's experience is different. Aim for natural but be flexible. Understand what other options are and how they work so that if things go differently, you're knowledgeable and prepared for a different course of action.
Oh, and make sure your husband is prepared to be your advocate if you are being pressured to do something you don't want. It's hard to stand up for yourself when you're in labour. You need him to know and understand your wants and to voice them for you.

Last edited by chandni3; 02-24-2013 at 07:08 PM.
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote