View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
Bella Catalina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 16 month old in body cast

I'm sorry I hope your little guy heals fast.

My son was in a spica cast at 27 months after breaking his femur. We used disposables (cut the tabs off)--much easier to keep the cast dry, with an adult diaper over the top to hold it in place. The cast could potentially snag the fabric, too.

I have a flickr set here and you can see how the diapers work (though tuck it in much better than in my pic): http://www.flickr.com/photos/bella_c...7629350598205/

Comfort wise, I recommend the Cast Cooler to everyone who asks. It attaches to the vacuum and is great for drying out the cast in the event of any accidents (we only had one, after we'd left the adult diaper off and he'd squirmed so much the normal sposie had come out of the cast). It was so much quicker than the hair dryer, I didn't have to hold it, and it didn't get hot or uncomfortable for him (also relieved itching).

Once the pain eased and he was moving around more, within a couple of weeks he'd built the upper body strength to drag his body around. Until that point, we did a lot of movies, a lot of scribbling, play-doh on a cookie sheet, that sort of thing. He lived on two crib mattresses on our living room floor.

Our hospital didn't have any of the special car seats, so we ended up back and forth to appts via ambulance.