View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #39
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: DH wants to convert. I dont understand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivhop98 View Post
I might, but we have already made the commitment to raise our children Catholic, so having a change of heart for himself shouldn't affect our children.

In our particular instance, I converted to Catholicism so we could all share one faith. It would be really weird to me, after a year of RCIA if my DH decided he no longer wanted to be Catholic.
I guess that I don't see religion as static...my opinions, views, values, etc. have changed significantly over time; certainly I think that many people are raised in X faith or X church, and they keep those values over the lifespan, but I think there are many, many people whose views or values change over time, and in many cases that may affect religious affiliation, or in some cases create a significant amount of dissonance.

Likewise, I think that if one's values are truly congruent with whatever faith, than attending services in a different place of worship doesn't inherently affect one's faith. Attending synagogue once a month doesn't make one's children any less Catholic. Plus, I mean, I guess I understand the whole "we'll raise the children X" thing, but again, I see faith as dynamic, and even major things change throughout couple-dom. Both for DP and I and SIL and her husband...when we got together, kids were off the table. But a few years in, DP (or SIL) decides she wants kids. I'm pretty sure if I had dug in on that & pulled the "well we agreed..." I'd be the jerk, but somehow when we're talking about religion, especially when we're talking about mom's religion, suddenly it's okay?
carriek38 is offline   Reply With Quote