Old 03-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #21
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Toddler Meal Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post
That's a nice thing you're doing Andrea. I think we do a lot of what you do, but with a pre-schooler and a toddler it's second nature to have this stuff around. It's not something you just "know" though, you've got to research it, learn it through trial and error, and rely on organized ladies like you to share your knowledge.

I have a vague idea of the nutritional profile of olives, probably fat and salt, but let me tell you, my kids love them. Olives of all kinds, not just the ripe ones. Even the frou-frou garlic and pimento stuffed my husband brings home. I believe foods like olives and hummus have expanded their horizons and made them more adventurous in what they will eat.
Thanks for the kind words, Danielle.

I will have to try olives. We already have him hooked on hummus so perhaps olives aren't too far behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyMum View Post
HungryCaterpillar - I'm reading this with great interest! Thanks for posting! May I ask -- where do you find jarred tomato paste? And, what do you do with the beans/cheese/tortillas -- do you make quesadillas?

Some great ideas in here. I will probably never be a meal planner, but you've given me some new things to try like the tomato cheese sauce!! Would love to see more photos too!
I have some jarred tomato paste because I overcooked some sauce I was trying to can last year, and it turned into paste Of course, this year when I try to duplicate this on purpose I will most likely be unsuccessful. I do remember from previous shopping trips that Whole Foods was carrying a glass-jarred tomato paste that had a BPA-free lid, but I haven't purchased it in a while. My general solution for canned tomato products and BPA (if this is even why you are asking for jarred) is to not use the portion that touched the lid, and purchase the organic bulk packs at Costco.

With beans/cheese/tortillas - I just give him the beans and the chopped cheese and give him chopped tortilla pieces or strips of tortilla which he will bite. He likes to pick up beans one by one so I humor that. I was thrown what to do with the leftover nine tortillas last week as they come in twelve packs and we try to not waste food here, so I mashed up the remaining beans in a pan with a little butter (faux-refried beans?) and combined them with shredded cheese into the leftover tortillas. This made nine small burritos that I wrapped in saran, then wrapped in foil and froze for my husband to take to work for lunch when I am too lazy to prepare something for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee View Post
We did the tomato cheese sauce (does this get kind of chunky?) and pasta, broccoli, blueberries and bread... of which she ate, practically nothing. Sigh. Lunch is not her favorite meal.
Mine does not turn out chunky I whisk the living daylights out of it, though, and I use really finely shredded cheese so it melts easier.

What does the Bear like? We can't only meal plan around my B's likes! Any favorites?
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote