Old 03-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #23
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My 4 yo excluded from a party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
Isn't not getting invited to a party at four years old a major thing in her life, at that age?

This is all about her perspective. At four years old, that's heartbreak.

I didn't quote Melissa, but I mean going to dinner and drinks or whatnot as an enjoyable activity to pursue and take the mind out of the trench. As an adult, I enjoy quiet dinners and drinks with my husband without little people's sticky hands and whines. At four years old cake at a party is a special event to look forward to. All similar shades.
I do agree that at 4 years old it's a pretty big deal. Is it weird that I also try to teach my kids perspective? As in, yes, it's a big deal to you now, and it hurts, but in the grand scheme of things, it's really not a huge deal.

Dinner and drinks as a general destressor, yes. As a direct reaction to a single event, no. And definitely not as a replacement for something similar I was missing out on.

ETA: Don't misinterpret me as saying that the OP was somehow wrong for baking a cake with her daughter. I think it's great that she put the focus on her daughter and HER birthday memories. I love baking with my kids and for my kids. I don't need an occasion other than, "I felt like making a cake/batch of cookies today, so I did!"

Last edited by mcpforever; 03-05-2013 at 07:41 PM.
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote