Thread: Simplicity
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Simplicity

I've been thinking about your question....I think my journey started as just seeking simplicity. I was looking for something ANYTHING to make my life easier.

And I found a few things....like having just the right basket for managing a cluttered countertop, finding the bread recipe that required the least amount of work, streamlining the cloth diaper stash, setting aside 2 hours every Saturday for housework. Stuff like that.

That's all good and fine as part of the journey, but then suddenly you have this aha moment and the idea of mimimalism starts to creep in....in a good way. lol

For me, my aha moment was when we added our 3rd kid and had to rearrange the kids' room about 400 times to figure out how all of us were going to fit. It was as simple as realizing I had X amount of space and nothing more. So I pared back wardrobes to fit in that amount of space available. And never looked back.

I think the biggest payoff by far has been reducing toys. I never thought I could do it, but I did it and it was life changing for all of us. I can spend time with my kids instead of picking crap up off floors all night. The kids are willingn to help pick up because it's not overwhelming.

I'm not opposed to keeping what you need and use, though. It's not about paring back to the bare minimum in hopes that it creates simplity. Because it doesn't. A rather trite example would be this little mini food chopper I have. Do I NEED it? No. Does it make my life a lot easier? Yes. So I keep it.

Beyond minimizing to create simplicity, we rely heavily on routines. Don't get me wrong....sometimes the routine gets boring, but I know I have a certain number of things I need to accomplish and I'll pay dearly later on if I miss a step. The routine itself evolves a little here and there, but the tasks stay the same. I actually stuggle a lot with the weekend routine, though. We play a lot of catchup on weekends.

A couple of things I have become comfortable with in seeking minimalism and simplicity - not getting out with friends very often and putting a few hobbies on the back burner. These were the hardest. I try to stay connected through facebook to the greatest extent possible and try to take heart that my hobbies arent gone forever. I can't "forget" how to sew, kwim?

When I think about kids commitments, I'v eonly just dipped a toe in the water. The only activitiy I want for my kids is swimming lessons for now. Until we reach a point where our kids are easier to tote around and getting to bed late isn't such an issue, I can't see us signing our kids up for the array of activities available.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if that's exactly the kind of ideas/encouragement you were looking for, but the whole minimalism journey has been one of the most positive changes I have ever made for myself and my family.

Last edited by badmisterkitty; 03-07-2013 at 08:46 AM.
badmisterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote