View Single Post
Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #13
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyMae12

What? There are women (like myself) who physically could not provide enough breastmilk for my child (due to PCOS and insufficient glandular tissue). So, if you can carry a baby, it is not a given that you can breastfeed.

Sorry, I just get very heated about this because my DD could have died if not for formula (she lost 1.5 lbs in a week and was starving as I tried to nurser her round the clock). And believe me, all the drugs, supplements, water, pumping, old wives tales and LCs in the world could not make my breasts produce more milk. I chose I would not use donor milk, because it personally makes me uncomfortable and I think milk from a smoker would be more dangerous than formula.
Right. This is why I would question it. It is INCREDIBLY rare for a woman to not make enough milk. I would want to know why. I have very close ties to an amazing mama whose daughter was born a month after my first. She had hypoplasia and couldn't provide enough milk. I understand the horrors of the weight loss and and ftt. I pumped and provided 100% of that sweet baby's supplementary milk for two and a half years. I would gladly do anything in my powers to help another truly struggling mother provide breastmilk.

I say all of this as a mother who would not give up breastfeeding for anything. I did the bleeding/skin loss, awful pain, being admitted for serious mastitis, and pumping every two hours for four years, only to continue by choice. As someone who dealt with a very serious and life threatening feeding and swallowing disorder, severe ppd, while never successfully nursing my first baby. Yup. Breastmilk is very, extremely important to me.

Last edited by Kätzchen; 03-11-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote