View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Arghlita
Registered Users

Re: Can low supply be a genetic issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaagain View Post
If you are breastfeeding to prevent celiac, you should be gluten free yourself. Gluten does not pass through breastmilk. Gliadin is the breakdown product of gluten and what we react to. That DOES pass through breast milk. Also avoid any formula if at all possible. 1 formula feed can forever change the gut flora of an infant.

Celiac is way under-diagnosed. Don't think it isn't in your family too.
I have been gluten free for 4 years now. I'm pretty sure I couldn't have conceived without help if not for cleaning that up, but it's one reason I'm super resistant to formula feeding my son. I'm glad to find someone who can understand because a lot of people just assume if you have it, your kids just *have* to have it and it doesn't matter what you do.

My dad's side had all of the symptoms I lived with before I knew, but they are too stubborn to do anything about it. My mom and dad went gluten free for about two years, but it had absolutely no benefits for her and then he gave up.

My mother's side of the family, on the other hand, is very medical and health oriented - one of my cousins runs a gluten free bakery because her husband and their children are highly reactive. As a result, much of my mom's side of the family has been tested and they are all negative so far. It's important in that the study I read on preventing Celiac indicates that breastfeeding for prevention only works if the mother has the immunological factors, which my mom did not.

Of course it's just one study, but I'm crossing my fingers because I would love to be able to spare my kids the allergy - at least until they're a bit older. I've read that the earlier the allergy symptoms come on, the rougher it is over all.
Arghlita is offline   Reply With Quote