Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
So many cavities, so little time.

I keep thinking about this, and I wanted to get y'all's thoughts on it.

I used to take the kids to a pediatric dentist. I liked the place. Neither kid had any cavities while we were going there. Insurance paid most of those visits, but they were out of network, so I had to pay out of pocket up front for the visit and then I got reimbursed a few weeks later. I ended up switching to some random dentist that was near our home because with two kids needing regular visits, I couldn't float that much money before the insurance reimbursed us.

My first visit at that new dentist, one of the kids (I can't remember which one) needed some "fillings." But not really fillings, b/c they didn't even have to numb him or anything. They were just spots on his teeth that they said needed treating. It was something quick and insurance covered some of it and my portion was reasonable, so I did it. They scheduled me for the next visits and we went on our way, and I made an effort to be more diligent with their oral care.

The next time I went, between the two kids, they told me that 11 of those fillings were needed. I was flabbergasted. I brush their teeth. They drink water (no soda, no juice). They get their dairy products. I couldn't afford 11 of those fillings. I was 8 months pregnant with my rainbow and stressed about that, and these "necessary" fillings just put me over the top and I was bawling in the waiting room (which was empty except for us), and the dentist came out and explained that they treat primary teeth "more aggressively" than permanent teeth. I didn't understand and that still didn't mean I could afford it and so she finally agreed to just do the worst spots, which were three on one kid and one on the other.

Oh, and by the way, the exam where these imperfections or whatever were found, was about 20 seconds per kid.

When I was crying at the front desk, waiting to find out what would happen that day, I noticed a white board hanging in the office area and it looked like it had sales goals or cold-calling goals or something that didn't really seem like it "fit" in a dentist's office.

Between that chart and the short exam time, I left with the feeling like they were "selling" to me instead of being actually concerned about my kids' dental health. One of the staff tried to make me feel better by saying that her kid had cavities, and "she works in a dentist's office," so don't feel bad. That didn't help me feel better.

The whole experience just really left a bad taste in my mouth (pun intended) and I wanted to see what you guys thought.
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote