View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #71
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

Re: Vegan and Vegetarian mamas enter here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
Hi mamas. I'm not really sure what I am. I have been "pescatarian" as dh calls it for several years now only eating fish, eggs and some dairy. I would eat turkey or chicken on rare occasions if some one else made it (so for special occasions or if at a friends mostly, probably 3-4 times a year like Thanksgiving). 2 weeks ago I decided to go on an elimination diet and went vegan plus soy and gluten free. Dh and both of the boys are doing the diet with me. For the first week I felt pretty awful, had a headache every day and felt pretty bad when it came time to hit TKD. Not sure if I wasn't getting my calorie intake right or my balances of protein/fat/carbs or what but it was just bad. For the last week the headaches have been gone but I do occasionally still get dizzy for feel a bit yucky come work out time. I have surprisingly not lost any weight in the last 2 weeks despite the abrupt diet change. I'm not over weight really but have a bit I could lose and was hoping this would help get me past the plateau I've been on for the last 6 months or so. The real reason for the change was my horrid stomach pain. I do not typically take in a ton of calories and I work out 2-3 hours about 6 days a week. I will not be able to maintain this type of diet long term if I cannot figure out why I'm having the dizziness and weak feelings when working out or doing heavy yard work. I will say that my stomach is doing much better so I have either eliminated whatever food was causing my trouble or it is a cycle related issue and I will start having pain again in a few days (I ovulated today). I was hoping to see behavioral changes in my boys, so many people with SN kids rave about dietary changes but it has done absolutely nothing for them. I did let them cheat on the dairy Friday, we were running so many errands and then had to get to a Derby bout, just didn't have time to go home to eat. We ate at Jason's deli and they had Turkey Sandwiches on gluten free bread with cheese. Didn't do anything to Kearnan but Tharen had so much gas and stomach pain after. I already knew he was dairy sensitive but he hasn't had a serious reaction like that in a while. I guess being completely dairy free for two weeks made him more sensitive. Dh has the same problem but will not give up dairy entirely (he is off right now but will go back to it in the end).

I am interested in suggestions on how to eat plant based and stay healthy. I don't know that we will keep doing this forever after I pinpoint what exactly is making me sick but I do want to keep our diets far cleaner than they have been in the past. I would like to be able to eat out sometimes (because we are so active with Derby and TKD it is hard to be tied to home all of the time) but it has been good for us having to eat more at home too.
Wow. I'm sorry you're struggling so much. It sounds like you've been very thorough in trying to figure out what's going on with your health by eliminating things from your diet, but have you had a total health work-up? I would be tempted to see a doctor and see what they think.

Also, if you are that active, I would think you probably aren't getting enough calories.

And for anyone who is interested we had this for supper and it was DELISH! Even my carnivore hubby liked it and didn't mention anything about no meat.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/11...-and-rice.html