View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I'm making fat-free milk?

You know I am experiencing the same thing and I chalk it up to the pump and my ability to respond to it. I am pumping 6 times per day currently and breastfeeding DD about 3 times per day. When I was renting a hospital grade pump and EPing for 3 weeks I was getting milk with about an inch of fat in a 5 oz. Bottle. Now I am using an Ameda purely yours and I barely get any fat sometimes just a small oil slick floating on the top that I can only see because its a bit shiny.

I feel like the pump isn't able to get the fattier milk out. I do notice an improvement if I pump for 20 minutes because I get an extra let down.

I also will say I don't believe their is much correlation between fat intake and fat content in breastmilk (i know it can affect the types of fats but not necessarily the quantity). I eat around 2-3 avocados a week and plenty of olive oil plus a smoothie every morning made with frozen fruit 3/4 cup uncooked oatmeal, 2 Tbsn flaxseed oil and 1 Tbsn Chia seeds. So I just don't see a correlation honestly.