View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #23
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here a few suggestions to stretch the meat portion further:
For burgers I used to mash up a can (or two) of black beans that were rinsed very very well and mix into the meat. If I didn't have beans then I used oatmeal. It bulks it up enough that a 1/4 of hamburger turns into at least 1/3lb. I also grate carrots and zucchini with my microplane (grater that is super super fine). I actually do that with all ground meats that are shaped like hamburgers, meatloaf, meatballs, hamburger steaks (Salisbury/smothered depending on where you are in the country ).
For chicken/pork as the main dish every one gets a "reasonable" portion for the first plate, once everyone has eaten ten they can get half of that portion for the second. If they still aren't full then they can eat more veggies or go hungry. I usually have three different veggies for most meals because I have somewhat picky eaters and I want to make sure there are two veggies that everyone likes. We always have a starch like mashed potatoes (mixed with half cauliflower!) or brown rice. That helps to fill them up when the meat runs out.
ETA: You need to fix your plate first before anyone else's and set it aside. Your kids won't be harmed if they don't get seconds. Your baby may suffer if you don't eat properly.
To make things in large batches use your oven or crockpot.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm

Last edited by myclanof6; 04-27-2013 at 08:23 AM.
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote