jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: The Next Car Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderreruns View Post
Talk to rescue people who have seen the results after a crash. Some crashes nobody makes it, other people do, others children may have...seat safety, how it fits in your car, and proper install does make a difference. We use Britax Frontier for our older children (100 lbs and 65 inch tall - BEAST of a seat but keeps wiggley 7 years old from slouching)...the 5 point harness is safer than lap over, tall backs safer than no backs and no backs "do pass the US test" but happen to be not legal in most countries. The rescue people in my family have seen sliced children after accidents with no back seats and differences with cheap seats. I do not need a report nor do I need to see a picture the statements from over 20 yrs of service was enough for me.
I'm sorry, but this is just not true. I am a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician with over 10 years experience. For a child old enough, say around 7-8, a backless booster is a good and appropriate choice. We have absolutely no evidence that a harness is any safer for a child, provided they are mature enough to handle the booster. A harness is not UNsafe, but a booster is also safe. A highback may be safer for SOME children, as it can help remind them to stay upright. Backless boosters are perfectly safe for children old enough to use them.
All seats in the US must pass the same standards. We have no idea if a cheap seat is any less or more safe than a pricey seat. A $39 Cosco Scenera is just as a safe as a $500 Foonf, provided it's used correctly. Pricier seats will get you nice, ease of use features and may be safer if a parent/caregiver can use them better than a cheaper seat.
Feel free to believe whatever you want, but please do not tell other parents that the inexpensive seats are not safe. My children ride in both Britax seats and a $39 Cosco seat and a $100 Evenflo seat. They are completely protected in both.

For the OP, I love my Britax seats, but for a tall child, they may not last until a proper forward facing age. My daughter outgrew it around 2.5. We would prefer to see kids rear facing until as close to 4 as possible, per NHTSA recommendations. I also own a Radian R100 and find it fairly easy to use, install and clean.