View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Chronically Unhappy 5 Year Old....

You've helped me with this kid in the past, so I'm sure you all can help me again....

I had a really disheartening, disappointing experience today. DD is in PreK and her school had a teacher appreciation thing where classroom parents helped the kids through lunch and recess while they ate a catered meal in peace. I helped, but was only able to stay through the lunch portion.

From the second I got there until I left, my DD was grumpy, whiney and argumentative. Nothing I was doing was making her happy. The teacher left a little write up on the routine and we followed it, but my DD insisted on whining at every turn because I wasn't devoting 100% of my attention on her and her alone. Helloooooo? Twenty other kids that need attention, too!

She was upset when I left and it just tears my heart out. I just sat in the car wondering why she's so unhappy with me all the time.

Now, I'm guessing her behavior is perfectly normal. I've met other kids like her. Kids who cling tight to mom when she's around but are perfectly fine without her. My DD is DELIGHTFUL when I'm not around.

But lately, our home life has gotten horrible. She back talks, screams, yells, is argumentative all the time, and absolutely refuses to play nice with her sister. She continues to act like an only child even though she is the oldest of 3. She's the kind of kid who, if you offered her a cookie and her mood was just right, she'd yell at you and tell you she didn't want a cookie. then you could say, okay no cookie, and she'd fall to the floor screaming because she didn't get a cookie. Absolutely nothing I do makes her happy.

She went through a tantrum phase late last year and I didn't think I'd make it through that, but now I'm losing the battle with the constant arguing.

I don't know what to do. Everyone else I know gets this sweet, happy child and all she does is argue with me. I've tried to be a middle of the road parent, tried setting boundaries without being too rigid. If I can't get through a day where she doesn't scream that she wants to move out, how am I going to handle the years ahead?

I'm just really, really lost.