View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #35
daniele_ut
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: who has had 4+ c-sections?

I had 4 c-sections and I'm one of the unlucky ones who suffered life threatening complications that were directly related to the previous c-sections. With my last baby I developed complete placenta previa and placenta increta. I was watched very closely during my pregnancy, was put on lifting and exercise restrictions and then spent 3 weeks on bedrest until I delivered at 36 weeks. 34 weeks is often recommended in accreta/increta/percreta cases but I hadn't had any bleeding. I had a c-section/hysterectomy under general anesthesia to try to prevent a hemorrhage. I was very, very lucky and didn't end up in the ICU after my delivery. DS spent 3 weeks in the NICU due to issues related to his prematurity.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, I just feel like people need to know the risks are real and it isn't just the risk of uterine rupture. In a 4th pregnancy after 3 c-sections the risk of Placenta accreta in the presence of placenta previa is as high as 70%. Placenta accreta is scary, really scary and it is becomeing much more common in this country now that so many more women aren't allowed to VBAC. I was lucky that I had no long term complications, but a hysterectomy at 39 was not something I ever wanted. The recovery was hard physically, but even more so emotionally for me.
daniele_ut is offline   Reply With Quote