View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #41
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: Disappointed with our Ped. :/ Vent - pls help me work through this.

Several thoughts -

First of all, it is quite likely that you were dealing with an MA, not an RN. RN's are too expensive for most practices to hire to do things like vitals and vaccines.

The doctor may not realize that your children have been missing well child checks. You should speak directly with him regarding his policy on skipping well checks. I understand you feel you can monitor everything from home. I won't debate that with you, but many physicians are also going to disaree that periodic weights and heights is not appropriate preventative care. Vaccination is only.on of many reasons to get routine preventstive care for your children. Doctors can open themselves up to liability for patients who do not do well checks.

As other have said, the nurse or MA likely told the doctor right before he went in to remind you abourlt the well checks. If you don't do routine well checks, the doctor may not know you well and wouldn't likely know if you were skipping them on purpose. I very often give doctors a piece of information about a patient as the doctor is heading into the room. For example, last night I asked a doctor to pop.into a patient's room and tell her that if she co tiniest to remove an important piece of medical equipment, she would wind up on a vent or dead. It is my job to help focus the doctor's attention on patient needs that she may not otherwise be aware of. And, in a primary pediatrics practice, well checks are the standard of care.

Anyway, you need to talk to the doctor and find out whether this is a deal breaker. My children's pediatrician's appointment line message reminds parents that annual well checks for children over 2 is a requirement for patients in their practice.