twinsmomkatie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Need reciepes for freezer!

Tater Tot Casserole:

1 bag of tater tots
1 lb. hamburger
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Put 1/2 of the (frozen) tatertots in the bottom of a 9x9 pan. Brown the hamburger (sometimes I add in onions, salt, pepper, whatever) and mix in the cream of mushroom soup + 1/2 can of water. Dump over the tater tots. Put the other half of the tater tots on top of the hamburger (or ground turkey, etc.), and freeze the whole thing. Cook 45 minutes at 375'.

I did this with both of my pregnancies, and it was one of the smartest things I've ever done! (patting self on back!) My church was very generous with meals, but I didn't feel like cooking for quite a while after the meals stopped coming, and this gave me some much-treasured sleep in those first days. In fact, I always have 1 or 2 meals in the freezer for those busy days.

Two things I have learned from experience . . .

A glass pan will crack if you take it right out of the freezer and put it into a preheated oven. Unless you have something that needs to rise (bread, dumplings, etc.,), put the glass pan into the cold oven and then turn it on. If they warm up together, the pan won't crack.

A lot of my recipes go in a 9x9 pan, and I don't want to have both my 9x9's out of service in the freezer for very long. So I line the 9x9 with foil, make the dish in it, and freeze it. Then I pop the frozen meal out of the pan (in its foil "wrapper") and put the whole thing into a freezer ziploc. When it's time to eat the meal, just pull it out of the freezer and pop it back into your 9x9. (This also helps with the above problem.)

I am totally in love with freezer cooking . . . the convenience of fast food, the nutrition of a home-cooked meal, the lower cost of a self-prepared meal, and the ability to "wow" my hubby on days I REALLY don't feel like it!

Another popular freezer staple here is spaghetti sauce - we put sausage, pepperoni, hamburger, onions, zucchini, and any garden vegetable in season into a huge pot of sauce and simmer it about half a day. Freeze in serving-size portions.

Also, things frozen flat in ziploc bags will stack up like books for excellent storage. Easy to label, too.

Okay, I've just given you WAY MORE INFORMATION than you were looking for - have fun!

Katie