View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Do you eat less to be thrifty/cut grocery bill?

I've been wondering about this lately. DH and I eat healthy, but not extravagantly. We do live in a higher COL area, but it seems like maybe we eat more than other people. DH is tall, and I am nursing, but neither of us is overweight. We are fit and healthy, but we just seem to eat a lot of food. (I can see this is subjective, but I don't know how else to describe it).

Well, things are tight, and I would love to cut the grocery bill, but I'm not sure how much more I could cut it. We eat oatmeal for breakfasts, things like apples and nuts for snacks, and dinners vary, but feature a lot of veggies. The last few months I've taken out $400 cash at the beginning of the month, and it seems to only get us through three weeks of the month. (No eating out or prepared foods. Just big bags of frozen veggies, meat, eggs, rice & beans, and some fresh fruit). I do meal plan, but lunches seem to do us in. DH works from home, and will make a big lunch most days (he does use leftovers). He might make an egg omlettee with leftover lentils, for example. All this food usage adds up quick. But since he's fit and healthy, I feel bad asking him (or me), to eat less.

Do any of you eat less to make your food money last longer? I know for me, I actually find it easier to eat less the more food we have around because I know it's there if I get hungry later. But if we don't have food around, I want to eat more now to sock it away.

So ladies... I'm curious if you ever eat less when times are lean. How do you handle it? Please chime in!