View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #133
mtnlazuli
Registered Users
seller

Re: Introduce your Preemie(s)!

I have two preemies. My first daughter was born at 35 weeks, 5 days, and stayed in the NICU for 9 days, so that her growth and temp regulation could be observed. She needed an IV for fluids for a couple of days, but was otherwise fine. She was born at 4 lbs 9 oz. She didn't need any breathing help, barely squeaked by w/o jaundice, etc., but was just slow to start growing well.

My second daughter was also a preemie - born just 13 days ago! And she is still in the NICU. I didn't think I would have two preemies, but I was a preemie and my brother came early, in similar circumstances to both my births - preterm premature rupture of membranes. DD2 was born at 33 weeks, 5 days, at 3 lbs 10 oz, so also on the small side. They'd managed to get steriods into me/her, so her lungs and heart have been fine, but they've been really cautious with the feedings. She had an NG tube in for about 9 days until she started ripping it out all the time, and they left it out, since she's handling bottle feedings like a champ. She's just coming off the central line IV and now has a peripheral IV. She's still in an isolette, and hasn't yet started trying breastfeeding. I hope she learns to do it and isn't going to be too used to the ease of bottles. I think we'll be there another week or so. Glad to have found this forum!
mtnlazuli is offline   Reply With Quote