View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
BSWmama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Why isn't there more medical information about BFing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady View Post
Well I am finished nursing for good so I am not really looking for anything specific. Just kind of generally wondering.

Are there any blood tests to tell a mother what her prolactin levels are? I was aware of the meds used off label, but are there any in research and development to be used on label?

Honestly, I think that the constant line of 'mamas don't have enough information and support' might be starting to do more harm than good. It's often leaves many mamas who ARE trying and are getting support and seeing IBCLCs and such a bi lost. And I think it leaves mamas who have to return to work feeling like any problems they have are because they are working and not keeping baby tied to them 24/7.

I wonder how much is 'mamas are misinformed' and how much is 'mamas don't have enough info because there just isn't enough info out there.'
I know what you mean by this as a mom who struggled with supply with my first, and now probably my second child. I can't claim I did everything perfectly, but I had a natural birth, got baby to the breast immediately, soon took Reglan and Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle, I did breast compressions, I pumped after feeding, I drank a lot of water, some beer, I ate plenty of calories, I nursed around the clock, coslept night and day. I saw lactation consultants at the hospital numerous times, had before/after feed weigh-ins, I called LLL leaders. I read A LOT, and cried A LOT. Ultimately, I was able to EBF my son but it was an uphill battle and weight gain was always somewhat an issue. All that that I got from LLL and lactation consultants was, "Well, have you tried this or that?" I felt that they had already judged that I was a total idiot who had "mismanaged" the breastfeeding relationship (and I guess perhaps I had but I was trying sooo hard and reading and obsessing) and I was seriously at a loss, having indeed tried all that already...
BSWmama is offline   Reply With Quote