View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
islandymama
Registered Users

Re: Why isn't there more medical information about BFing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayasmomma View Post
OMG you guys are my new BFFs. I'm going through all the same stuff now. My first DD was probably mismanaged because I hadn't received enough information. We nursed around the clock but on the 6th day she had been on my breast for EIGHT hours straight. It was 4 am and I hadn't slept in days. I decided one 2 oz bottle so that we could get a little sleep would be alright (OT but WHY do all the OBs put formula in every new mom's home so its easily accessible in their moment of weakness???) We did ok supplementing tiny bits here and there until one night I got her down, went to bed and we woke up 10 hours later with raging mastitis. The mastitis shut off supply in that breast and I couldn't keep up with only the other side. When giving my history to the LC I mentioned that first formula night she just looked at me like I was an idiot and said "well, why didn't you just put her back to your breast?" Like that thought must not have occurred to me. We did all the supplements, pumps and Reglan which tipped me into such depression I couldn't stand it anymore. She was formula fed by 2 months.

Now DD number 2- I did SO much research, watched videos, read books. We started out great, I set up shop in my chair and expected round the clock nursing, milk came in at a crazy volume. I put about 30 oz in the freezer in the first 2 weeks. Then it dropped into oblivion. I took fenugreek and brewers yeast, I went to a herbalist and had fresh tea made up with everything she could put in there, I made cookies, drank so much water I thought I would puke, ate boxes and boxes of oatmeal, upped my iron intake. LO continued with a whopping 1 oz per week weight gain. She was tiny, gaunt, fell off the charts, didn't interact at all- only ate, slept and cried. We nursed at least 18 hours a day. I EBF until 6 weeks when she started peeing a rusty blood color from the dehydration. I just kept remembering that first LC telling me to put her back on, which I did. I went every week to a lactation weigh in and was told to keep it up. Then that same LC, again, looked at me like I was an idiot and asked why I wasn't feeding my baby (meaning formula this time.) I got a second opinion from a nicer lady and she told me I needed to start offering a bottle after every feed which made her start refusing the breast so now we are SNS feeding...And yet I'm still told its probably all in my head and if I just make sure my latch is always perfect and drink enough water my body will rise to the occasion.

I'm probably just misinformed.
A good IBCLC will tell you that the first rule is to feed the baby.You don't sacrifice baby's health for the sake of breastfeeding. Sounds like you did everything in your power to make your breastfeeding relationship work.

I learned from one IBCLC this breastfeeding equation: Baby + mom = breastfeeding. Sounds simple but that's the way it works. If breastfeeding is not working out either something is going on with mom, or baby, or both.

Mom: Feeding baby enough/ stimulating milk production... esp. In the early days. Hormone issues? Breast surgeries? PP hemorrhage? Underdeveloped breasts? Medications? Any could affect breastfeeding.

Baby: Latch. Sufficient milk transfer? Mom can be making tons of milk, if baby is unable to transfer mom's supply will drop eventually. Tongue or upper lip tie? Some of the most impeding ties can be the least obvious. Does baby have another health issue, I.e. allergies, reaction to what mom is eating? Silent GERD?

PS: I know feeding baby enough was not your issue! It was never mine either, however it is super common and you always start with the most obvious first. Shames on your LC for not looking past that! However I think a lot of hospital IBCLCs are very overworked, some are not really into lactation but RNs who tacked on the credential for professional development, and some have them their for show. Best to find a dedicated IBCLC if you can who doed it for passion's sakes.... if you can.
islandymama is offline   Reply With Quote