View Single Post
Old 06-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: Slow weight gain. Pediatrician wants us to supplement. Opinions?

I have a thread about this but have you been checked for breast hypoplasia? I had no idea until recently I had it and I've breastfed 5 babies! Some have had issues and some haven't, though all have been slow gainers the first month. You can read the study that helped me figure out here http://www.sonic.net/~mollyf/igt/ I would ask the LC you talk to what she thinks.

I think some kids can be slower gainers, but I would be concerned about a baby that was not up to birth weight by at least 1 month old and gaining steadily from then on. It can take some women a month to establish a good supply, but after that, I think intervention is appropriate.

What I would do is this - get a medical grade baby scale. You can check with electric breast pump rental places, they sometimes have them. If not, I know Babies R Us sells scales for about $60. You want the ones that are accurate to the .5 oz

I kept my very jaundiced 3rd baby out of the hospital by using one of these. I would weigh the baby before and after breastfeeding. In my case, it showed me that my baby was getting approximately 1.5 oz per feeding (every 2-3 hours). My ped said he needed a minimum of 2 oz every 3 hours, so I was close, but not quite there. So we would make a 2 oz bottle of formula and let him take it. He usually only took about an oz which was perfect! His bili level dropped rapidly and we only had to do the at home lights (which previously weren't working enough).

Ask your ped what is the minimum amount of oz she should be getting and how often. Weigh before and after breastfeedings. If its less than the right amount then make a small bottle and let her drink what she wants of it. I wouldn't force her to drink the whole thing. I bet she's self-regulating her intake well and that 1 oz she drank was exactly what she needed. It just helps clarify everything when you can measure her BM intake and the scale will help you immensively! It will also let you monitor her weight at home which is helpful.

While she gets her supplementary bottle (or right after), you go use a electric pump. I did it for 10 minutes per side and got pretty much nothing. When I did this with my 3rd baby, within about a week he was getting 2 oz per breastfeeding and we were able to drop the supplements. FWIW I have never, ever, even with a "full" supply have been able to pump more than 1-2 oz, and it wasn't uncommon for me to just get drips. So I really hate the pump. But they say it can help and it did for my supply with DS3.

I really messed up with DS4 and didn't do the scale and only a bit of supps to get over the hump of his jaundice afterward just trusted my body to provide for his needs with frequent feeding, etc...but in hindsight he struggled with weight gain his whole first year and its a big regret of mine that I was not proactive.

Hope that helps mama!
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote