View Single Post
Old 09-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
munchkinflame13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My labor day baby. . . Evelyn Joy (very long, pics coming soon)

Labor Day was just like any other day right up until "quiet time." We laid DD#1 down for quiet time and went to our room to watch Troy. At the end of the movie (about 3:45 PM EST), I was about to get up when DH and I both heard (and I of course felt) the sound of a large rubber band breaking. It didn't hurt, but was a "snap" release of tension, and that is the only way I know how to explain it. I had no idea DH could hear it, too, so I was like "Hmmm, that was weird." and he asked if I was okay and if I needed a towel. When I had DD#1, they broke my water, so I had never felt water spontaneously break before, so I had no idea what had happened. I said "no, I'm ok" stood up and DH saw a trickle, so I asked for the towel. I had a couple good gushes and decided to sort the laundry then start some laundry (since most of my clothes were dirty).

I was having contractions (feeling pressure) but I didn't know they were contractions at the time (DD#1's labor was induced and beyond intense pain once they started the pit, I have no recollection of what they felt like) but my water had broken, so I knew I had to have Evie within the next 24 hours so I called my mom so she could come watch DD#1 and kept sorting the laundry while DH loaded up the car. He kept saying we needed to go, so I got him to make me some food then he helped me finish sorting the laundry. I called my mw and told her what had happened and she said to meet her at the hossy as soon as I could so I could get the Group B Strep antibiotics. I told her I was going to eat first and then I would come (she said it was a good idea. . . but we later found out it wasn't ) I ate (port wine cheese on ritz crackers with cantaloup and a brownie and milk ) while DH finished bagging the laundry and freaked out then posted that my water broke while he continued to freak out. DH practically had to drag me out the door then drove like a maniac to the hospital. He says his lowest speed on the highway was 95 and I don't doubt it. I spent the whole time on the phone trying to ignore his driving and purposefully avoiding looking at the spedometer. . .

We got to the hospital around 5 pm. As we were walking in the door, I told DH I would *try* not to curse and say things I didn't mean to him this time like I did last time .

They checked us in and took us to L & D room E4. The first nurse came in and told me she was going to start my iv then debated out loud about whether she would start my iv or another lady's first. I had to tell her at least 7 times to go ahead and do the other lady's iv then come back before she actually listened. She finally got my iv in and my mw came to check me at 7 pm and asked why they hadn't called her yet since I had been there for 2 hours and why they hadn't started the GBS antibiotics. Like I was going to know the answer. . . They got the GBS antibiotics finally and started the iv around 7 or 7:30. I was having very uncomfortable contractions, squeezing DH's hand and trying to sleep in between them (and in them, too) while at the same time trying to watch the iv to make sure I wasn't moving and making the iv stop dripping. I puked a couple times during some strong contractions. It was purple. I vowed never to eat brownies, cantaloup, crackers with cheese and pickles together again. And not to eat "next time" after my water breaks. I was sooo tired as I had skipped my nap to watch Troy and all I wanted to do was get in the tub as I thought it would hurt less in the tub.

The GBS antibiotics were finished around 8 and the mw checked me and said I was 5 cm dialted, so they put a glove over the iv site on my right hand and a rubber band on my wrist and I got in the tub. It was just a regular sized tub and not very comfortable. For some reason, the tubs didn't have corks/stoppers in them, either, so we had to use a wash cloth to stop it up so the water would accumulate. My doula, Anna, got there while I was in the tub. She brought me a pony tail so I took the hard "claw" I had in my hair out and she helped me put my hair up on the top of my head and secure it as it was getting on my nerves. The tub wasn't big enough for the water to cover my belly, so DH spent the next 45 minutes turning the water up and soaking a rag in hot water and squeezing it on my stomach as I couldn't stand for the rag to lay on my stomach. Sometime during the 45 mins I was in the tub, I puked again. Right on DH's hand, although I didn't know that until yesterday. Since I had puked on his hand, he just wiped my mouth off with his hand instead of with a rag, which I also didn't notice. Sometime while I was in the tub I realised I was pushing in the contractions and I started freaking out. I was still closing my eyes and trying to sleep through contractions, but I was freaking out because I knew I had been in the tub for less than an hour and the last I had known I was only 5 cm dialated and I knew I was pushing, so I was scared that something was wrong or that if I kept pushing, something would be wrong (like I would tear my cervix or hurt the baby by pushing when I wasn't fully dialated) so after about 40-45 mins in the tub, I demanded to be checked. I had already made up my mind that if I was not significantly dialted that I would get an epi so I could stop pushing because I really had no control over pushing at that time. My body was just doing it and I was really afraid something would go wrong if I kept pushing if I wasn't fully dialated. The nurse came and I got out of the tub and realised I had pooped in the tub and somehow made it to the bed (didn't even put the gown on, I couldn't stand that long because I didn't have that long between contractions). The nurse checked me and I was 9 cm dialated and she went to call my mw and told me not to push. I think she was afraid she would have to deliver the baby if I kept pushing. My mw came and the nurse kept telling me not to push, to concentrate on breathing, which helped a lot. It got increasingly harder to not push and my mw told me that if I felt the need to push, to listen to my body and do it. I wanted the stirrups to have something to push against, but the right one kept falling down in the middle of pushing so it wasn't really helping at all. The mw, DH, my sis and Anna (my doula) were all wiping my forehead and encouraging me to breath then encouraging me to push. I was still trying to sleep through as much as possible. The mw wanted me to try a birthing bar so she got it and brought it to the room. I tried to get into the squatting position, but didn't make it any further than sitting up and said "nope, I can't do that" so I used the birthing bar to brace my feet up against since the right stirrup kept falling down. I started concentrating on the pushing when the contractions came and concentrated on sleeping when they weren't there. They started holding up my legs which hurt, but I was too busy concentrating on pushing to tell them it hurt. My mw put her fingers in to stretch me out, but that hurt too bad so I asked her not to. She asked if I wanted a mirror and went to look for one, but I said I didn't need one because I was keeping my eyes closed to concentrate. Soon after I felt something similar and asked her what she was doing and she told me nothing, that it was the baby coming out. The "ring of fire" was excruciating and didn't feel like fire, felt like little bumps shoving in every direction. I was making noises during pushing now, from moaning to screaming and I found that the noises helped a lot. The noises were a great release. I pushed her head out and the mw told me to keep pushing and see if I could get the shoulders out. Her shoulders came out one at a time, which was also excruciating and then my mw pulled her out. OUCH. During the pushing, I had pooped 3 more times on the bed. The nurse tried to take the glove off my hand and pulled the iv out. They let the cord pulse until it stopped and DH cut the cord. She was put on my tummy and I had DH put my glasses back on so I could see her. She was so beautiful, covered in vernix and just looking at me. She wasn't crying enough to get all the junk out of her lungs, so they took her from me and boy did she start crying then!!! I was gushing blood, but they hadn't gotten another iv in yet so they gave me a pit shot in my hip, which burned. This was the first intervention in labor, I did it all without any drugs!!!! They got the iv in and gave me a bag of pit and kept shoving on my uterus to get it to stop bleeding. OUCH again. They finally got the bleeding under control to an extent. By then, I was almost through that bag of pit and they had a bp cuff on me to check bp regularly. I finally got to hold DD#2 and she started to nurse. She latched on like a pro and nursed for an hour until they took her to the other side of the room to wash her. DH took pics while the nurse washed her.

I put the hospital gown on and the nurse asked me if I wanted to pee and I said no. She told me I could pee or she could put a catheter in me, so I decided I wanted to pee. I peed 750 ml, about 22 ounces

Since I did not get my 2nd dose of GBS antibiotics, they took DD#2 to the nursery to do a culture to see if she had been affected by the GBS. DH stood outside the nursery for an hour and a half watching her then I got taken up to the room and DH and DD were brought to the room. They had to keep her for 48 hours after the culture to make sure she was not affected by the GBS, so they could not tell us until 11:55 pm on day 2 in the hospital (wed.) whether or not we could take her home. She had a little jaundice, but the cultures came back good and they came to tell us at 12:05 am that we could take her home.

Evelyn Joy was born 9:08 pm EST 9/3/07 weighing 7 lbs 11.5 ounces at 38 weeks 3 days gestation. She was 19 3/4" long. As of yesterday at 2 pm (her first dr appt), she was down to 7 lbs 3 ounces, but doing fine. If you made it this far, thanks for reading.