View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
jausten
Registered Users
seller

Picture Tutorial: Making Recycled Fleece and/or Wool Longies

I had a request for this tutorial, so here you go.

In this series of pictures, I am making fleece longies from an Old Navy sweatshirt that I just don't love anymore. (Okay, the color looks really bad on me! ) But the same thing can be done with wool.

Also, for the sake of simplicity, I'm using the sleeves for this tutorial; however, you can always use any part of the sweater by sewing up one side to make a tube. And you can make them shorter for shorties.

Rules of what to use:
* fleece - look for 100% polyester
* wool - 100% wool is best, but blends work fine as long as it's not cotton or rayon; I try to stick with at least 70% wool and the rest nylon if I'm using a blend

I wash my wool sweaters in hot and then dry them on high heat before sewing to felt them, but you don't *have* to do this. It just makes for a more bulletproof cover, especially for nighttime. Obviously, the thicker the sweater, the more absorbent the cover, so if you're wanting to make nighttime longies, look for a heavy-weight sweater.

Now ... on to the tutorial ...

cut off the sleeves:

your 2 sleeves = legs of longies

line up the hems of your sleeve-legs and a pair of current pants to locate where crotch should go

put a pin where the crotch is going to go in both sleeve-legs

cut down the seam of both sleeve-legs to where the pin is

put your sleeves together, overlapping any extra fabric in the middle

use a current pair of pants to measure width of hips (add a little width to cover the big diaper bum if the pair of pants you are using for comparison are trim) - cut off the excess fabric that's in the middle

1. turn one sleeve inside out
2. tuck the right-side out sleeve inside the inside-out sleeve
3. line them up and pin

sew from one end to the other - if you have a serger, you may serge the edges; if not, just use a zig-zag stitch as close to the edge of the fabric as possible

reinforce the crotch with a reverse stitch as you're sewing

voila!

pull the sleeve out, and pat yourself on the back -- you're half-way done!

using the current pair of pants, measure where the waist is going to go - give yourself room to fold over the waistband for elastic!

fold waist over a little wider than the width of the elastic you're using and pin

sew the bottom edge of the fabric - for fleece, I just use a straight-stitch; for wool, I use a zigzag stitch to keep it from unraveling

You may fold once and then again for a neater edge, but if your sweater is thick, it makes it a little tough to sew through all of the layers.

make sure you leave enough room for the elastic!

to measure your elastic, measure waist of baby and subtract 5 inches - that is the length to cut your elastic

pin a jumbo safety pin on each end of the elastic

thread through the waistband

make sure you don't lose your elastic

sew the elastic together

sew the waistband closed

turn your pants right-side out and cheer -- you're done!
expecting #2 sept 2010

Last edited by jausten; 02-23-2010 at 07:20 PM.
jausten is offline   Reply With Quote