View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 07:51 AM   #1
8blessings
Registered Users

My Mood:
Aunt says feed him "real food" now????

hi,
I am posting this at 3 different places, so I can get alot of really good feedback from it, so if you see it at babywearer,hyenacart and diapperswappers, thats why. lol.
ok-
I was visiting my Moms house yesterday, and my 70 yr. old Aunt from out of town was there too. Aaron, who is 3 months needed to nurse, so I plopped down in the living room in the recliner and began to nurse him with no blanket- it is 103f and my moms ac was not working properly. My Aunt was in the other recliner next to me. After a minute or two, she began asking me quetions like; "Is he eating real food yet?, and when are you going to start feeding him? I fed my babies real food when they were one month old, and didnt have any problems at all, infact, they were very healthy, and loved eating, and never had stomach problems."
a bit of background info on me- I have 8 children- all of them breastfed, infact I have not stopped making milk at all- going on 17 yrs. of lactating now. The average age of self weaning in my home is 2 yrs.
yet still- when I am confronted with such questions- I am dumbfounded- puzzled, and brought to near speechlessness. How do you gently and respectfully inform your uh hum"well-meaning" relatives that we do things differently nowadays? actually "nowadays" sometimes has nothing to do with it- we do things BETTER= more healthful= putting babies wellfare first. (and even back then- some Moms breastfed and others didnt) dykwim?
I told her that I would not be starting SOLID foods, like mashed fresh banana, etc... until after 6 months of age ( I have waited longer with past babies- more like 9-12 months) and this is a recommendation form pediatricians, and to nurse for atleast a year, then wean whenever we were comfortable.
The thing is- she KNOWS this becuz she has heard it so many times b4 from me! for nearly 17 yrs now, she and everyone else in my family, knows I nurse my babies for a long time, and you would think they would know better by now. It is evidence that I am doing the right thing when none of my babies were ever sick with even a sniffle before 12 months of age (usually once I introduce "real food") and none of them had diarrhea or ear infections. Why change a good thing? my babies are perfectly healthy. Whats up with needing them to eat food as soon as possible? Is it really about that? or was she just nervous and embarrassed about me BREASTfeeding in front of her? should I hide and feel embarressed about nursing? Putting my (misled) emotions before my childs health????
ok- that sounded a tad rambly, but any input or comments would be appreciated. thankyou!