Thread: Birth plans
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
Emma
Registered Users
seller

Re: Birth plans

I'm sorry this is long, but this is my birth plan, and I don't really know how to link it since it's a word document. I am less than computer saavy.

I just got back from my OB appt, and she said that pretty much everything I have on here she would have no problems accomodating. She said the only part I might run into to some problems is the eye drops in terms of hospital regulations. She also said that on some stuff (like the pitocin for the placenta), that I would have to make sure I'm vocal about NOT wanting it as the nurse will do it automatically.

----
Please discuss all procedures with my husband and myself before they are conducted.

IV / heplock – Please do not administer an IV or heparin lock unless there is a clear medical indication that such is necessary. I plan on remaining hydrated by drinking moderate amounts of fluids such as water, juice, and/or ice chips.

Epidurals – I DO NOT WANT ONE, so please do not offer it to me. Only administer if it is medically necessary(such as a C-section).

Other pain relief – If I request pain relief (such as NuBain or Demerol), please give it to me in the form of a shot, as I do not want an IV/heplock.

Episiotomies – I do not want one, I would prefer to tear. Please suture tears only if necessary.

C-section – Unless if it is a medical emergency, and either mine or my baby’s life is in danger. If I’m just having a long labor and the baby’s heart rate is fine, then I do not want one. IF I do have to have a C-section, please consult both myself and my husband prior to. I wish to be fully informed of all procedures and actively participate in decision-making. If I do have to have a C-section, I would like my husband to be present during the surgery.

Fetal Monitoring – As long as the baby is doing well, I would prefer to have intermittent external monitoring.

Induction – I would like to avoid this unless it is medically necessary.

Labor / Pushing – I would like to be free to walk, change positions and use the bathroom as needed or desired. I would prefer to wear my contacts during labor. Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming the baby is not in distress, I would like to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase. I would like the freedom to choose the position that is most comfortable for me to push and deliver.

Delivering the Placenta – I would prefer to wait for spontaneous delivery of the placenta and do not want a routine injection of pitocin, unless it is medically necessary (such as excessive bleeding).

Post Birth (baby-related) – I would like to hold the baby immediately after birth unless medical reasons inhibit that. I want to breast feed the baby immediately after birth. If possible, please evaluate and bathe the baby at my bedside. If the baby must go to the nursery for evaluation or medical treatment, my husband or our doula, will accompany the baby at all times. Please delay eye medication for the baby until we are well past the initial bonding period. Please do not give the baby supplements (including formula, glucose, or plain water) without my consent, unless there is an urgent medical necessity. Please do not give the baby a pacifier.
Emma is offline   Reply With Quote