Re: Birth plans
The Gehl Family Birth Plan
Mother: Lori Gehl Father: Ben Gehl
Support Person(s): Amy Bookwalter CLD, Erica Schachner-Statman, Sandra Willis
This birth plan is intended to express the preference and desires we have for the birth of our baby. It is not intended to be a script. We fully realize that situations may arise such that our plan cannot and should not be followed. However, we hope that barring any extenuating circumstances, you will be able to keep us informed and aware of our options. Thank you.
First Stage (Labor):
* Dim Lights, Peace and Quiet, Music of our choice.
* Would prefer to keep vaginal exams to a minimum.
* Maintain mobility (Walking, rocking, up to bathroom, etc.)
* Nibble on light snacks and drink to comfort.
* Heparin lock placed in forearm, not in hand
* EFM as little as possible
* If an EKG is needed please perform at time of EFM
* Please do not offer me pain medications, I will ask for them if I want them.
* I would prefer to use natural methods to start labor.
* I would prefer to walk to speed labor.
* I do not wish to have the AROM unless signs of fetal distress.
Second Stage (Birth):
* Choice of position
* Prolonged length, assuming mom and baby are fine
* I would like my husband and/or doula to support me and my legs as necessary during the pushing stage.
* I would like to try to deliver in a squatting position, using my husband or a squatting bar for support.
* I would like a mirror available so I can see my baby's head crowning.
* I would like the chance to touch my baby's head when it crowns.
* Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming my baby is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
* Unless the baby is in distress, and it is medically necessary, we would like to avoid the use of forceps
* I would appreciate having the room lights turned low and room quiet for the actual delivery.
* I would like to have my baby placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.
* I am hoping to protect the perineum. I have been practicing ahead of time by squatting, doing Kegel exercises, and perineal massage.
* I would prefer not to have an episiotomy unless absolutely required for the baby's safety.
* Use of warm compress and “Arnica Oil” to protect the perineum.
* I would appreciate guidance in when to push and when to stop pushing so the perineum can stretch.
* If possible, I would like to use perineal massage to help avoid the need for an episiotomy.
* Local Anesthesia (for repair)
* Unless absolutely necessary, I would like to avoid a Cesarean.
* If a Cesarean delivery is indicated, I would like to be fully informed and to participate in the decision- making process.
* I would like my husband present at all times if my baby requires a Cesarean delivery.
* Spinal/epidural anesthesia
* I do not want medication that would make me tired, please give antacids or other alternatives.
* If my baby is not in distress, my baby should be given to my husband immediately after birth.
* Video/Pictures taken
* Free one hand to touch the baby
* Breast feeding in recovery room
* I would prefer that the umbilical cord stop pulsating before it is cut.
* My husband does NOT wish to cut the cord.
* Delay the Vitamin K shot
* No separation of Mother & Baby
* I would like to hold my baby while I deliver the placenta and any tissue repairs are made.
* I would like to hold my baby for at least fifteen minutes before (he/she) is examined, etc.
* I would like to have my baby evaluated and bathed in my presence.
* Please delay the bathing of the baby as long as possible.
* I do not wish the vernix to be removed.
* I plan to keep my baby near me following birth and would appreciate if the evaluation of my baby can be done with my baby on my abdomen, with both of us covered by a warm blanket, unless there is an unusual situation.
* If my baby must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband or some other person I designate will accompany my baby at all times.
* I would prefer to hold my baby rather than have (him/her) placed under heat lamps.
* I do not want a routine injection of pitocin after the delivery to aid in expelling the placenta.
* After the birth, I would prefer to be given a few moments of privacy to urinate on my own before
* I would like to see the placenta after it is delivered.
* I plan to breastfeed my baby and would like to begin nursing very shortly after birth.
* Unless medically necessary, I do not wish to have any bottles given to my baby (including glucose water or plain water).
* I do not want my baby to be given a pacifier.
* I would like to meet with a Lactation Consultant.
* I do not wish to have the circumcision performed in the hospital.
* Breast feeding as soon as possible
* Unlimited visitation for parents
* Handling the baby (Kangaroo care, holding, care of, etc.)
* If the baby is transported to another facility, move us as soon as possible
Loving my three guys -- Married to Ben 8-28-04, Mamma to Jack 4-1-06, Micah 1-30-08 and Mattie 8-30-10!