Old 12-12-2007, 06:28 PM   #42
tracyb928
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I don't get EBF for 12 months?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffinsmom View Post
What cereal has that bm doesn't is iron, or so I'm told and have read. Again, to me it's not about "competing with bm" because it's not about giving solids instead of bm, it's in addition to bm and given after feeds so as not to decrease the amount of bm a baby drinks.

The info on allergies not being prevented by delaying came from an allergist. It was interesting because a couple of years ago with her first baby, he had recommended that she delay introduction of certain foods, but in her last appointment he was telling her that the most recent studies suggest that it does not help prevent allergies as they had thought it would (because of teh idea that the gut isn't selaed etc). So for her second child he just suggested to start at 6 months or thereabouts and to introduce foods slowly and carefully, giving each new food for at least 5 days in a row so that she would be able to assess how baby was doing with each one. He still recommended to be careful with the highly allergic foods such as nuts, but said that was more a common sense caution than with the idea that delaying giving it would prevent allergies.

I also think it's important when reading articles about "delaying the introduction of solids" to see what their definition of "delaying is. Almost everything I've read described "delaying" as introducing after 4-6 or 6 months. To me that's not delayed, that's the typical but I guess that's because I'm of the younger generation.
It's really crazy talking to people my parents age that talk about how they started feeding their babies solids at 2 weeks!! My mom claims I was eating just about anything they ate but in pureed form by six weeks. When people of that age comment on how happy and easy going my babies are, I always think "ya because they don't have belly aches from trying to digest all that food! "
Breastmilk may have less iron than iron-fortified cereal but it is absorbed MUCH more efficiently than the iron that is in cereal. Here is the link to the kellymom page, and a copy of the chart they use:
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron.html

Quote:
The iron in breastmilk is better absorbed than that from other sources. The vitamin C and high lactose levels in breastmilk aid in iron absorption.

Iron Source

Percentage of Iron Absorbed
breastmilk
~50 - 70%
iron-fortified cow milk formula
~3 - 12%
iron-fortified soy formula
less than 1% - 7%
iron-fortified cereals
4 - 10%
cow's milk
~10%
Note: The amount of iron absorbed from any food depends greatly upon the milk source of iron (eg, human vs cow), type of iron compound in the food, the body's need for iron, and the other foods eaten at the same meal.
www.twomommasdesigns.com www.hyenacart.com/queencitymamas/
tracyb928 is offline   Reply With Quote