View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

Make your own belly band - easy and CHEAP!

(Sorry in advance for the gimungous pictures, I'd already edited and uploaded them into this thread when I realized how big they were, and I don't feel like doing it all over again. )

I don't even have a belly yet but I am already busting out of my regular pants, so I decided to make some DIY belly bands (like Bella Bands) today. They are great for holding your pants up if you want to wear them unbuttoned because you can't fit into your maternity pants yet, and they can bridge the gap under regular shirts so you can wear those longer.

You need:
-An old T-shirt (no holes or stains on the bottom half)
-Scissors
-Sewing machine (duh!)
-Pins
-Measuring tape

You could use any stretchy fabric to make this belly band, but an old T-shirt is free. Can't beat that!

Step 1: Lay the T-shirt on the floor and cut the bottom 6 inches or so off. If you have a long torso or just want more coverage, you can cut more. Add about 1/2 in. for seam allowance.

Step 2: Measure yourself around the highest part of your belly, NOT around the widest part in the middle. The band needs to be tight, and if you sew it to the measurement of the widest part, it will look silly (trust me ).

Step 3: Cut the T-shirt loop at one of the creases and lay it out flat. Measure to where your waist measurement is, and cut, adding about 1/2 in. for seam allowance.

Step 4: Fold over the raw edge onto the wrong side about 1/4 in. and pin down.

Step 5: Sew right down the middle of the fold, with about 1/8 in. on each side of the stitches.

Step 6: Fold over again about 1/4 in., pin.

Step 7: Sew in line with the first seam that you made, so the raw edges are all nicely tucked in.

Step 8: Meet the ends together, right sides facing each other, and pin. It might be hard to get the tops and bottoms to lie straight with each other, you might have to stretch one side and scrunch the other to make them even.

Step 9: Sew a straight stitch, again being careful to keep the tops and bottoms lined up with each other.

Step 10: If you have a serger or serge stitch, serge off the raw edges. Or you can use a zigzag stitch. (I didn't bother being very neat with this sicne it will be on the inside anyway.)

Step 11: Turn it right side out. Voila! You have a belly band. It looks tiny, doesn't it? Trust me, it's supposed to be snug.

Here is mine on. Sorry for the crappy pics, it's dark in my closet!

It has a little room to stretch, jersey is good like that. As it continues to get worn and my belly grows, it will stretch more and more.

It probably won't snap back to its original shape after the pregnancy is over, but since it was free to make, I won't care about making another one if I have more kids in the future.

Last edited by hippydippymama; 12-15-2007 at 08:02 PM.
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote