View Single Post
Old 08-20-2006, 12:25 AM   #1
MamaJo
Go sell crazy some place else, we're all stocked up here.
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Taco Soup - yummy, cheap, freezes great AND healthy....

I had two people ask for this recipe tonight from DS, so I decided I'd post it for everyone

Taco Soup

1 lb extra lean ground beef or turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (16 oz) tomato sauce
2 cans (16 oz) diced tomatoes
2 cans (16 oz) pinto beans, undrained
1/2 pkg. taco seasoning

Brown meat with onion in a stockpot that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.
10 1 cup servings.

I like to make this in HUGE batches (usually x6) because it freezes so well. What I did....because I'm too lazy to figure exact measurements lol.....

~6.5 lbs ground beef (whatever the pkg was at the store)
2 humongous onions (we aren't huge onion fans)
12 8oz cans tomato sauce (great value brand)
8 28 oz cans diced tomatoes (great value brand)
4 53 oz cans pinto beans (Bushs brand)
bulk taco seasoning from Sams Club I had already (there are 8 tsp to a pkg).

My lazy way usually ends up with a bit more liquid, but I just take the lid off the last 10 minutes and let some of the water simmer away. Oh, and you will need two HUGE stockpots...not the dutch ovens for roasts...but STOCKPOTS

Now, the great part? This huge batch will make more than 60 cups of soup (because of my lazy measuring). 60 cups would probably give us 15 dinners, I'm not sure how much this will, but when I bag it up for the freezer, I'll post

And, all of it only cost....
ground beef 13.57
diced tomatoes 7.36
tomato sauce 2.88
pinto beans 5.84
onions 1.50
Total - 31.15 - thats $2/meal for a family of 4. All you need to go on the side is some tortillas...homemade are not only the cheapest, but the YUMMIEST too Your only other costs would be taco seasoning and what ever containers you choose to freeze it in (we use zip locks).

One more thing - if you try this, make a single batch to make sure you use ingredients your family likes. Once I figured tomatoes are tomatoes and bought HUGE cans from Sams Club (hunts brand I think) That was a LOT of soup nobody was all that fond of....

As you can tell, I was a little bored waiting for this soup to simmer so I typed this up for everyone lol

Taking a break to focus on God & family

MamaJo is offline   Reply With Quote