View Single Post
Old 08-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: I hate people like me...

Wow, I kinda know how you feel! My son was in the NICU for a little while and I pumped liked crazy while he was there but once he got home he HATED BFing. He REFUSED to do it! I saw like 3 lactation consultants and that didn't help at all. =( I was upset about it but I just kept pumping and trying to get him to BF. He just refused to latch on though except for like two whole times and eventually I dried up b/c I couldn't keep up with the pumping. (AND I was only producing milk on one side!) Sooo, BFing for us lasted all of like 2 months. I'm a young mom too (21) so I was always afraid that people would judge me and think that I just never even tried because I was young. I wasn't ASHAMED to feed him a bottle in public, but I did always feel bad and kinda self-conscious.

Now, DS is 15 months and he still takes a bottle. (We are working on the cup now.) And ya know what? Even though giving him a bottle after 12 months isn't the "right" thing to do, I'm not in the least bit ashamed or worried what other people think about it. My DS is small for his age and is in a spica cast so I figured I would skip learning to drink from a cup for now and I don't care what anyone says! LOL

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is... you just have to worry less about what other people think of you. It doesn't matter because all those random people don't know SQUAT about you. I mean, I've even had people hollar out in the middle of Target "Oh my Gawd, that baby has two broken legs" when I took my son out in his SERIAL casts for CORRECTION of clubbed feet (NOT broken legs!) But I just had to get over it because they don't even know me.

AND, some of the time, you probably ARE right about the people that don't care at all about BFing... but some of those people could have any of a million GOOD reasons why they didn't get to BF. Plus, the people that choose not too probably aren't bad parents. Most were just misinformed or brought up to think that its unnecessary, which isn't really their fault. Well, I hope you can start feeling better about it, and I hope this helps. (Sorry for the massive post, by the way.)

Last edited by urchin_grey; 08-20-2006 at 01:10 PM.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote