View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
A'smommy
Registered Users

Re: I need help - my daycare child is hitting!

Wow, that is a tough one. If you're committed to caring for him for the long haul I guess all you can do is keep on with what you're doing (time-outs, telling him no, etc.) I just finished Sears's DISCIPLINE BOOK and he talked a lot about time-out being like penalty boxes in sports. You know, two minutes for high-sticking (or hitting or whatever---can you tell my DH is a hockey fan?

I used to work as a tutor and I know it's always hard to discipline someone else's kid. (Especially when I worked in *their* house.) But since this is YOUR house, YOUR turf, and YOUR kids getting hit, I say let him see a little momma lion. (Not enough to scare him, but enough to let him know it's unacceptable. No growling or anything, LOL.) If he doesn't eventually stop you may have to reconsider keeping him. I had to let one of my students go when I was pregnant with my daughter; he was ADHD and their house was utter chaos. My blood pressure shot up every time I walked thru their front door. I had to quit for her sake, and my own. Later I found out the dad and stepmom were divorcing and the kid would be moving to a new school---again. I felt sorry for him, but I had to do what was best for myself and my own kid.

Hope it doesn't come to that for y'all...keep up the good work! And good luck.
--K
A'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote