View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 08:54 PM   #42
snowbird25ca
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone seen the new vaccine guideline?

HPV vax is such a thorn in my side... the FDA insert itself says that the vaccine hasn't been evaluated for the ability to cause cancer or genetic mutations.

But aside from that, there are 4 strains of the HPV virus included in the vaccine. 2 that are known to cause cervical cancer, and 2 known to cause genital warts. The 2 strains that are known to cause cervical cancer are responsible for causing about 70% of all cervical cancer that is caused by HPV. Approximately 90% of all cervical cancer is caused by HPV vax, so assuming that even if the vaccine was 100% effective, it would only be able to potentially prevent 63% of cervical cancer cases. Cervical cancer is responsible for less than 1% of all deaths from cancer in the US on an annual basis, and in the vast majority of cases early cell changes are detected by pap smears before the disease becomes invasive. Pap smears will still ultimately be the best preventative tool for invasive cervical cancer.

Part of the reason for wanting to give the HPV vax prior to girls becoming sexually active is that it's not known if giving the vax after a woman/girl has previously been exposed to HPV will increase the risk of her developing cervical cancer. Also important to know about this vaccine is that it was only followed for 4yrs in clinical trials and cervical cell changes can take anywhere from 10 yrs or longer to develop. Also they don't know how long the immunity lasts...

In regards to the mom who mentioned pertussis, the vaccine wouldn't have made any difference if your ds had had it or not seeing as he's just 8 months old now. (Assuming the age in your siggy is right..) You have to have the full series of pertussis shots before immunity is developed - IF you even develop immunity to it.

Rotavirus isn't on that list because it's only recommended for babies and toddlers. The immunity wanes after the first 2 yrs and it's expected that kids will still end up getting rotavirus sometime between the ages of 3 & 5.

And I just was reading an article today that I got through email about how they've tested 20 HIV vaccines already and they've all failed. Apparently an additional problem with the HIV vaccine is that it makes people's blood test positive for HIV once they've been given the vaccine, so it makes screening difficult. And since the virus mutates & there are so many different strains, it's unlikely there'll ever be an effective vax for it.

Oh, and for the record, we were selectively vaxing until my dd had a serious reaction to the 2nd DTaP/HIB/IPV vax and we haven't done any since then. Our new baby won't be getting a single vax. I'm not going through the same thing with him that we did with dd...
snowbird25ca is offline   Reply With Quote