Thread: Doulas
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Doulas

I LOVE being a doula. I feel you wil just know when you talk to the right doula. Also you will meet with her a few times before your birth, ( ideally) and get to know her. I know they can be expensive, but when you are a doula in training, meaning you justneed yourbirths. you arent supposed to charge for that... I have never charged for being a doula. I know bad business move. But i just love helping moms, accomplish what they are trying to do... Beit no drugs. or all of them LOL...

You need to talk about pain meds for sure. If you think you might want drugs. even the slightest possibility. you need to see what your doulas opinion is of this. I have seen some militant doulas who convince mom to go drug free. even when moms wishes are to have drugs.... That is not helpful. A doulas job is to pretty much get whatever mom wants, and to make her as comfy as possible. and to give dad soemthign to dothat is constructive.... Especially if htis ish is first time. Dads carry a ton of nervous energy. They want to help and dont know how, and a doula can say. Here, rub her back righ there and apply pressure... Or whatever....

Also, if you dont want 50 ppl in your delievery room, your doula should help control that. I was at a birth where i had to throw everyone out for hte mom, because she was so tired, and wanted to be alone... Moms will usually not say that to everyone while in labor. but a doula will.

When interviewing, go wiht your heart. Contact a local doula agency ( if you have one) and see if htey have any that are trying to certify. Or if you dont mind paying... Then tell them what your needs are and ask who they recomend. Go to the DONA website, and it will igve you a list of doulas in your area... www.dona.com

Goodluck mama. and i can promise you, A doula will make your birth go a bit smoother....

ETA, as for a planned hospital birht with meds. YES>>>> there is still lots to do. Get you ice. rub your feet, ust be emotional support. It is amazing how the person who has very little emotional connection to your birth, can be the best emotional support... I know someone,who has atened planned c- sections... It is all about support!!!

They also help with breastfeeding issues, and helping before there is a big problem. Hospital lactaion consultants, are not htere 24 hours a day....

Last edited by nothing_butt_cloth; 08-31-2006 at 09:24 AM.
nothing_butt_cloth is offline   Reply With Quote