View Single Post
Old 01-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
cakeums
Registered Users
Formerly: mn***r
seller

My Mood:
Fenugreek and PCOS

So, I remember reading a while back that Fenugreek is used for more than just stimulating the milk supply - that it is also used to treat insulin resistance/high glucose levels, among other things.

I just did a fairly quick bit of research, and Fenugreek contains diosgenin, which is used to make synthetic estrogen. Synthetic estrogen is what drugs like Clomid and Femara are.

Those two things together are really giving me hope that taking Fenugreek will help me in place of taking Metformin, since I don't have any right now. I was hoping diet and exercise alone would do the job (of course I know they help) but I'm going to take my Fenugreek. I've been taking 3 capsules a day before bed, since DD only nurses in the mornings and I figure even a little could potentially help my supply, but I'm going to go back to taking 10 capsules a day.

Everything does say that Fenugreek should be avoided during pregnancy because it can stimulate the uterus to contract. Does anybody know something about this? Should I stop after I O? I know taking Metformin through pregnancy brings the average m/c rate in PCOS women to about 10% as opposed to 50%+, and Metformin also helps with insulin resistance, but it obviously doesn't have the same composition as Fenugreek.
cakeums is offline   Reply With Quote