View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 05:16 AM   #1
Grrchurch03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
People actually think this???

One of my IRL friends emailed this to me from a forum she is on, I could not believe it when I read it, and honestly, I was too angry to even try. I had no idea real people actually thought that! I whited out their usernames just in case, but wow. The original message doesn't really bother me, at least she nursed, 15 months is great, but the response is what had me seeing red.

Here is the question:

Weaning 15 month old
Amanda C

Date:
Wed. Jan. 30, 2008
I started the weaning process a few months ago and am now down to just nursing before bed at night. I don't nurse him to sleep, but it's definitely part of our nightly routine. I have been thinking about possibly cutting that feeding out soon (within the next week) when my husband will be watching him at night and putting him to sleep. I've tried to cut it out over the past month (kind of), but he really seems to still want it so I didn't push it. Does anyone have any advice for getting rid of this last nightly feeding?

Forgot to mention that my husband is able to put him to bed when I'm not around, so it's not a matter of me HAVING to do it every night, it's more of feeling that the longer I wait, the harder it's going to be for him--- when it's me putting him to bed. I am still on the fence about how I feel about it-- not really sure if I'm ready to stop or not, but feeling the time is coming and I want to be prepared.

And here is ONE person's response... and 16 people have responded (everyone of them has/is nursing... I am not sure on this person though.... doesn't sound like she would be too into nursing a child!... I can not believe a person who say things like this to someone who is asking for help)
Maura F
Date:
Thu. Jan. 31, 2008
If your 15-month-old son

a) has teeth

b) walks and talks

c) does not live in the 3rd World

he should NOT be sucking on your breasts -- that is culturally backward, and totally icky. Just say NO!

You sound like a good mom, but this is unintentional child abuse. You are beginning to blur sexual boundaries, and it isn't healthy. At least, not in this culture.

When YOU are ready to stop, he will sense that. If you waver (wanting to "keep him a baby" etc., which is common and understanable, but not necessarily to his benefit), he'll know it. Decide. Implement. And he'll cope.

Keep in mind that a two-year-old can pour his own milk from the fridge if you make it accessible. I know how much you cherish those moments with him, but there are other ways to bond (reading, for instance!) and he isn't an infant anymore. Cherish his development! Encourage it. This is a win-win scenario.

Last edited by Grrchurch03; 02-01-2008 at 06:09 AM.
Grrchurch03 is offline   Reply With Quote