View Single Post
Old 09-06-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
orangemnms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
OCD and kids

We just finally made the connection yesterday with the help of DS's teacher that DS (age 5) has OCD tendancies. It should have been fairly obvious to us because DH has been diasnosed as borderline OCD, but its just never come up in a way that made it so obvious to us. We always just thought that was part of his personality. Now that its been pointed out to me, and proven by several things DS's teacher showed me yesterday, I need to know how to move forward.

Background: DS was evaluated at just before three because he was still nonverbal. We ran the ENTIRE gammut of tests, everything from audiology to autism and everything inbetween. He was simply diagnosed with a "global speech delay" and "generalized social anxiety." Which IMO are really vauge dx. We put him in a special ed class where he caught up wonderfully, and then mainstreamed him at the right time. He is extremely smart, reading unassisted, spelling words by sounding then out phonetically, adding and subtracting, etc. However, his social skills are still severely lacking. He does not interact with any of the kids in his 8 pupil class, spaces out during circle time, is extremely possesive with toys, etc.

I'm glad to finally have a name for some of these behaviours that DS is exhibiting (and has been most of his life.) I am wary of using the (IMO inadequate) school system to DX him again as I feel they will do the bare minimum to get by in helping him, and each step will be a huge fight. We have decided to pursue treatment privately. Now, how do I find a Doctor/therapist/treatment, etc for him? I dont know where to start looking or even what I am looking for! Child Psychologist? Behavioral modification?

Anyone been through this? I would love to hear from you.
orangemnms is offline   Reply With Quote