View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
ypperin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
COMPLETE!! The Great BV Comparison! UBER PIC HEAVY!

Firstly, I wanted to thank everyone for their patience while waiting for Canada Customs, USPS and so on..... I have come across some really amazing things doing this.....

I want to preface this with, I will not say one WAHM is better or worse, and I will not be putting down any WAHM's... this is not my intention at all, I will however be truthful, honest, and objective.....

Here are our categories:
Stitching
Shrinkage
Softness
Snappiability
Stretch
Thickness
Softness over time
Drying Time

First a Pic of the whole stash.... be warned that the Dunk n Fluff did not survive do to an oops in manufacturing that is quickly being rectified by Tami

STITCHING: First I am going to touch on Stitching. That doesn't necessarily mean "who is the better seamstress" but more the differences of the different types of stitching and their pros/cons as well as their location. I have included bunches of pics for you in this as well

Stitching is important as it not only keeps your diaper together, but affects stretch and cosmetic appeal as well For example.... if you have a stitch that is very close together it may not stretch as well, but the velour won't wilt through it either.... If it's too shallow it can come lose with wilting especially if the stitching is too close or too far apart.

Needless to say Velour is not at all easy to work with Remember that DnF is absent with this category because of the "oops"

Cottonspud's Boutique
Uses a med length stitch at a med. width.
CSB is surged on all four sides

Ramiebaby Designs
Uses a longer depth stitch which is tighter width wise
RBD is surged on all four sides

Bijou Baby Gear
Uses a longer depth and very tight
BBG is surged on all four sides

Peanutbutter & Ellie
Uses a longer depth but spaced out more
PBE is surged on all four sides

Positively Posh
PP is surged on all four sides

Bottom Bumpers
Uses a deep stitch more spaced out
Bottom Bumpers are only surged on the ends

Ewe Need It
This stitch is not as deep as some of the others, and spaced a little further apart.

ENI is surged on all four sides

Loveybums
I would say this is a med/med
LBs are surged on all four sides

Bagshot Row
Again a med/med.... however the width is a hair further apart
BSR is surged on all four sides

So what are my conclusions on stitching? I have to admit.... the diaper with the least wilting is Cottonspud's Boutique, Loveybums, Positively Posh and Bijou Baby Gear. Wilting is the fuzziness that velour tends to get along surged edging.

What's my personal favorite? I think they all have their advantages as you will see as we continue....

Shrinkage

The only diaper that showed any major shrinking is LB's with 9% approx.

Softness

All diapers when first received were amazingly soft with their velour. What I found surprising was the differences with the terry (for those that had terry). RBD uses a very closed loop terry, whereas PBE uses a long loop terry and ENI somewhere in between.... you will find out more about the advantages of each when we get to snappiability....

Snappiability

I was surprised at the results of this.... For those that used a long loop terry (which is the softest) I did come across snagged loops.... and those that were just velour finicky.... So a med/tight loop would be ideal if you prefer the snappi.....

Long Loop Terry providers:
PBE

Med Loop Terry:
ENI
Positively Posh

Short or tight loop:
RBD

Cotton:
LB

The rest were velour velour..... As well I must point out that the example of Cottonspud's Boutique I had does have an available terry strip, just not on my model.

Stretch

And here is where stitching and material choices made a huge difference!!

I was surprised to learn that embellishments really do make a difference when it comes to stretch, and if the material used is not as stretchy then the pf won't stretch as much!

As well those that had another material in the middle soaker zone didn't stretch as much either....

Cottonspud's Boutique
I was unable to get a picture of this.... however, I did measure afterwards, and Cottonspud's boutique on an embellished PF gained 20% of it's width

Ramiebaby Designs
RBD Embellished gained 16%

RBD Plain gained 19%

Bijou Baby Gear
BBG Gained 34%

Peanutbutter & Ellie
PBE Gained 38%

Positively Posh
PP Gained a whopping 58%

Bottom Bumpers
Bottom Bumpers Gained 25%

Ewe Need It
ENI in a close second gained 45% (I was floored by this as ENI has an extra layer that PP doesn't)

Loveybums
Loveybums was the same as any cotton pf because the entirety of the exterior is cotton

Bagshot Row
BSR Gained 33%

Thickness

Now having just one pf of each was next to impossible to measure let alone take pics.

The thinnest was Dunk n Fluff (they do however give a free doubler) and then, if I hadn't ordered the doublers sewn in for my Positively Posh they would be next. Bagshot Row is thin with only two layers, however they also offer a doubler for free. The thickest in the bunch were ENI, Peanutbutter and Ellie, RBD, BBG and Cottonspud's Boutique, all having about the same thickness.

Softness over time

This is the final category.... and I have to preface this with the fact that I have soft water. All my BV is still soft and supple, the terrys are a different matter.... PBE with long loops has retained more of it's softness than ENI's med loops for example, and RBD didn't really feel soft as much as smooth and has retained that.

Drying Time
Ah the age old question.... drying time....

I have separated them in like groups.... the first group dries the quickest well within one cycle on hot, the second dries within one cycle on hot, and the third typically needs a bit of a booster in the dryer

Dunk n Fluff
Bagshot Row

Positively Posh
ENI
PBE

BBG
Cottonspud's Boutique
RBD
Bottom Bumpers

So which do I recommend?

If you are wanting to use snappis I say definitely go with a med or short loop exterior such as ENI, Positively Posh or RBD (only because I hate snagging my diapers, long loop is functional I just don't like the look of a snagged loop).

For myself.... I grab for my ENI's, Positively Posh, and my RBD the most.... I was going to touch on trimness.... and what I can tell you is that the brands listed below have soakers sewn in (be it bv or cotton fleece or otherwise) so they would be the most absorbant without a doubler.

BBG
RBD
Bottom Bumpers

Recommendations for buying? If you don't mind using doublers, I would recommend a three layer flat with a three layer doubler (middle drying group), like those in the second drying time group. I find a two layer flat too thin for my heavy wetter personally (fastest drying group) and for those that don't like having to use a doubler inside the diaper for fear of it bunching I recommend ENI's pre-pocket (and adjust the absorbancy to meet your needs)or one from the longest drying group

If you have any questions please feel free to ask

Last edited by ypperin; 02-21-2008 at 10:41 PM.
ypperin is offline   Reply With Quote