View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #1
gamecaco4
Registered Users

Thumbs up Homemade detergent and fabric softener

A good friend of mine gave this recipe to me a week or so ago. Shes been using it for years because she has horribly sensitive skin. These are both great for baby detergent, too. She says she pays about $4 a month on detergent and softener for 4 people per month.

Detergent:
One bar of fels naptha grated.
2 cups of washing soda
2 cups of borax.
Mix together and voila! One large Tbls. does one load of wash.

There is some fragrance in the fels naptha however it is miniscule and rinses completely out in the rinse cycle.

Softener:
One gallon size jug of white vinegar (has to be white) Favorite essential oil (optional)
If you use the essential oil you'll need about two teaspoons. Add directly into vinegar. Shake to mix. Add vinegar mix to Downy ball as you would fabric softener. It will work fine without EO too. There will be no vinegar smell left on clothes don't worry.

I actually have used vinegar as a softener (w/o the EO because I didnt have any on hand) and was surprised that there wasnt a vinegar-y scent.

Maybe this is all wayyyy old, but I had never heard of these recipes before. I plan to use them when I finally run out of the stash I have sitting in my garage or when the baby arrives...whichever comes first.
gamecaco4 is offline   Reply With Quote